- Minister for Industry and Aerospace, Department of Trade and Industry
- Executive responsibility for the Aerospace, Steel and Shipbuilding industries, liberalisation of Telecommunications, Inward Investment, Regional Aid and other sectors of industry.
- Minister for Roads and Traffic, Department of Transport
- Executive responsibility for all Road Contracts with Industry, Drink-Drive Campaign, DVLA and Road Research Laboratory.
- Minister for Sport, Department of the Environment and then Department for Education
- Initiated the Sports and Arts Foundation, “Sports Match” and other financial incentives for Sport.
- Minister of State, Northern Ireland
- Executive responsibility for the whole of the Northern Ireland Economy and Local Government structure, including Industry and Commerce, Inward Investment, Tourism, Employment, Energy, Local Authorities and Planning.
- Minister of State, Department of the Environment
- Executive responsibility for all Environmental, Countryside and Water matters, led negotiations on many European Directives at Council of Ministers in Brussels, Ministerial control of Countryside Commission, English Nature, National Rivers Authority, British Waterways Board and Ordnance Survey.